Are you looking for Luxury Hotels in Reykjavik Iceland? Reykjavik is the capital and largest city of Iceland, and it is a unique and fascinating destination that offers a wealth of attractions and experiences for visitors. As of 2021, the estimated population of Iceland is only around 367,415 people. Reykjavik has an estimated population of around 133,508 people.
According to the latest available data from the Icelandic Tourist Board, Reykjavik receives a large number of visitors every year. In 2019, the total number of foreign overnight visitors to Reykjavik was approximately 1.3 million. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated travel restrictions, the number of visitors to Iceland, including Reykjavik, decreased significantly in 2020 and 2021.
If you are planning to book a hotel in Iceland, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- According to the Icelandic Tourist Board, as of December 2021, Reykjavik has a total of 186 registered accommodation establishments, including hotels, guesthouses, and hostels.
- Number of hotels: Reykjavik has a total of 83 registered hotels, ranging from budget-friendly to luxury options.
- Room capacity: The total room capacity of hotels in Reykjavik is approximately 9,900 rooms.
- Occupancy rate: In 2019, the average annual occupancy rate for hotels in Reykjavik was around 78%, with higher rates during the peak summer season.
- Plan ahead: Iceland is a popular tourist destination, and hotels can get booked up quickly during peak travel seasons. It’s a good idea to book your hotel well in advance to ensure availability and secure a good rate.
Luxury Hotels in Reykjavik Iceland
Reykjavik has several luxurious hotels that offer a range of amenities and services. Here are some of the most luxurious hotels offed in Reykjavik.
Reykjavik Edition – Luxury Hotels in Reykjavik Iceland
The Reykjavik EDITION is a luxury hotel located in the heart of Reykjavik, Iceland. It is a collaboration between the Marriott International hotel group and the renowned hotelier Ian Schrager.
The hotel features 253 guest rooms and suites, each with a sleek and modern design, inspired by Iceland’s natural landscape. The rooms are spacious and feature luxurious bedding, flat-screen TVs, and high-speed Wi-Fi.
The hotel also features several dining options, including the hotel’s signature restaurant TIDES. This restaurant is managed by Iceland’s first Michelin-star Chef, Gunnar Karl Gíslason. The hotel also has a couple of bars, a rooftop terrace, and a café, providing a variety of dining options for guests.
Other amenities at the Reykjavik EDITION include a fitness center, a spa, and a 24-hour front desk. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful.
One of the standout features of the Reykjavik EDITION is its stunning design. The hotel’s interiors are a collaboration between Ian Schrager and the Icelandic architectural firm T.arch. The hotel features contemporary design elements such as sleek furnishings, custom artwork, and dramatic lighting, all of which create a stylish and luxurious atmosphere.
Overall, the Reykjavik EDITION is a great option for travelers looking for high-end and stylish accommodation in Reykjavik. It offers a combination of luxury, design, and modern amenities, making it a great choice for both leisure and business travelers.
Why stay at the Reykjavik EDITION hotel:
- Luxury: The hotel is a 5-star, luxurious accommodation option in Reykjavik, with sleek and modern designs throughout. The guest rooms and suites are spacious and feature high-end amenities, such as luxurious bedding, flat-screen TVs, and high-speed Wi-Fi.
- Dining options: The hotel offers a variety of dining options, bars, and cafes, which offers a modern take on Icelandic cuisine.
- Design: The hotel’s interiors are of stunning contemporary design that features sleek furnishings, custom artwork, and dramatic lighting.
- Location: Located by the Harpa Convention Center and Concert Hall. The hotel is located in the heart of Reykjavik, providing easy access to many of the city’s top attractions, restaurants, and shopping areas.
The Reykjavik EDITION is a great option for travelers looking for luxurious and stylish accommodation in Reykjavik. It offers a combination of high-end amenities, contemporary design, and a convenient location, making it a great choice for both leisure and business travelers.
Apotek Hotel – Luxury Hotels in Reykjavik Iceland
The Apotek Hotel is a boutique hotel located in Reykjavik, Iceland. It is situated in the heart of the city, close to many popular attractions, restaurants, and shopping areas.
The hotel, part of Keahotels, is housed in a historic building that was originally built in 1917 as a pharmacy. It was later renovated and converted into a hotel while preserving many of the building’s original features and charm.
The Apotek Hotel has 45 rooms. A variety of rooms and suites, ranging from standard rooms to deluxe suites. Each room is uniquely designed and decorated and features modern amenities such as free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and luxurious bedding.
Restaurant + Bar
The hotel also has an on-site restaurant, Apotek Kitchen + Bar, which offers a diverse menu of Icelandic cuisine and international dishes. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and also serves a variety of cocktails, wines, and beers.
Other amenities at the Apotek Hotel include a fitness center, a sauna, and a 24-hour front desk. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful and can assist with booking tours and activities in the area.
Apotek Hotel is a stylish and comfortable accommodation option in Reykjavik, ideal for travelers looking for a unique and convenient base for their Icelandic adventures.
Why Stay at the Apotek Hotel in Reykjavik:
- Location: The hotel is located in the heart of Reykjavik, close to many popular attractions, restaurants, and shopping areas. This makes it a convenient base for exploring the city.
- Historic building: The hotel is housed in a historic building that was originally built in 1917 as a pharmacy. It has been renovated and converted into a hotel while preserving many of the building’s original features and charm.
- Unique design: Each room at the Apotek Hotel is uniquely designed and decorated, with a modern and stylish feel. Guests can enjoy luxurious bedding, free Wi-Fi, and flat-screen TVs.
- On-site restaurant: The hotel’s restaurant, Apotek Kitchen + Bar, offers a diverse menu of Icelandic cuisine and international dishes.
- Amenities: The hotel has a fitness center, a sauna, and a 24-hour front desk.
Apotek Hotel is a great option for travelers looking for unique and comfortable accommodation in Reykjavik. It offers a combination of history, style, and modern amenities, making it a great choice for both leisure and business travelers.
Hotel Borg – Luxury Hotels in Reykjavik Iceland
Hotel Borg by Keahotels is a luxury hotel located in the heart of Reykjavik, Iceland. The hotel was originally built in 1930 and is considered one of the city’s most iconic buildings, known for its Art Deco style and elegant interiors.
The hotel has 99 rooms and offers a range of rooms, deluxe rooms, and suites. All of the rooms are designed in a classic Art Deco style and feature modern amenities such as free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and minibars. The suites offer additional amenities such as separate living areas, espresso machines, and panoramic views of the city.
Hotel Borg Amenities
Hotel Borg also features a number of on-site amenities, including a fitness center, a sauna, and a restaurant and bar. The restaurant serves a range of Icelandic and international cuisine, with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients. The bar is known for its extensive selection of cocktails and Icelandic beers.
One of the highlights of Hotel Borg is its central location, which is ideal for exploring Reykjavik’s many attractions. The hotel is located on Austurvöllur Square, just steps from the city’s main shopping streets, restaurants, and museums. It is also within walking distance of the city’s waterfront, where visitors can take boat tours or whale-watching trips.
Overall, Hotel Borg by Keahotels is an excellent choice for visitors looking for a luxurious and central base for exploring Reykjavik. With its iconic Art Deco style, elegant interiors, and modern amenities, it offers a unique and memorable experience for guests.
Why stay at Hotel Borg by Keahotels in Reykjavik:
- Historic and Iconic Building: Hotel Borg is a historic and iconic building located in the heart of Reykjavik. It is considered one of the city’s most iconic landmarks, known for its Art Deco style and elegant interiors.
- Central Location: Hotel Borg’s location in the heart of Reykjavik makes it an ideal base for exploring the city’s many attractions. It is just steps away from the city’s main shopping streets, restaurants, museums, and waterfront.
- Luxurious Accommodations: The hotel offers a range of luxurious accommodations. The suites offer additional amenities such as separate living areas, espresso machines, and panoramic views of the city.
- On-Site Dining and Bar: Hotel Borg features a restaurant and bar on-site, serving a range of Icelandic and international cuisine, with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients. The bar is known for its extensive selection of cocktails and Icelandic beers.
- Fitness Center and Sauna: The hotel features a fitness center and sauna on-site, making it easy for guests to stay in shape and unwind after a day of exploring Reykjavik.
Hotel Borg by Keahotels offers a unique and luxurious experience for visitors to Reykjavik. It is a historic and iconic building, centrally located, with luxurious accommodations, on-site dining and drinking, and a fitness center and sauna making it an excellent choice for those seeking a memorable and comfortable stay in the city.
The Retreat at Blue Lagoon – Luxury Hotels in Reykjavik Iceland
Although not in Reykjavik we want to include The Retreat at Blue Lagoon, on our list. This is a luxurious 5-star hotel located in the Blue Lagoon area of Iceland. It’s about a 20-minute drive from Keflavik International Airport and a 50-minute drive from Reykjavik. The hotel offers a unique and exclusive experience, as it is located within the Blue Lagoon’s geothermal spa complex.
The hotel features 62 spacious and elegant guest rooms and suites, each with a private balcony overlooking the lagoon, the lava fields, or the surrounding mountains. The rooms are designed with natural materials and soothing colors to create a serene and relaxing atmosphere. The rooms come equipped with modern amenities such as air conditioning, a flat-screen TV, a coffee machine, and free Wi-Fi.
The hotel’s spa offers a range of treatments and experiences. Including massages, facials, body scrubs, and access to the exclusive Retreat Spa area. The spa area features steam rooms, saunas, and mineral baths. Guests can also enjoy the Blue Lagoon’s warm, mineral-rich waters, which are said to have healing properties for the skin.
The hotel’s Moss Restaurant serves gourmet Icelandic cuisine made with local ingredients. The Lava Restaurant offers a more casual dining experience with views of the lagoon. The hotel’s lounge bar serves up cocktails and other drinks in a relaxing atmosphere.
Other hotel amenities include a fitness center, a yoga studio, a library, and a shop selling Icelandic design and beauty products. The hotel also offers a variety of guided tours and activities, including hiking, horseback riding, and visits to nearby attractions such as Thingvellir National Park and the Reykjanes Peninsula.
The Retreat at Blue Lagoon Iceland offers a unique and luxurious experience for travelers looking to relax and rejuvenate in a stunning natural setting.
Why stay at The Retreat at Blue Lagoon Iceland:
- Exclusive access to the Blue Lagoon: The Retreat at Blue Lagoon Iceland is located within the Blue Lagoon’s geothermal spa complex, which means that hotel guests have exclusive access to the Blue Lagoon’s warm, mineral-rich waters. This is a unique and luxurious experience that is not available to the general public.
- Luxurious accommodations: The hotel offers spacious and elegant guest rooms and suites, each with a private balcony overlooking the lagoon, the lava fields, or the surrounding mountains. The rooms are designed with natural materials and soothing colors to create a serene and relaxing atmosphere.
- Exceptional spa experiences: The hotel’s spa offers a range of treatments and experiences, including massages, facials, body scrubs, and access to the exclusive Retreat Spa area, which features steam rooms, saunas, and mineral baths. The spa treatments are designed to promote relaxation and rejuvenation and are based on the healing properties of the Blue Lagoon’s mineral-rich waters.
- Gourmet dining: The hotel’s Moss Restaurant serves gourmet Icelandic cuisine made with local ingredients, while the Lava Restaurant offers a more casual dining experience with views of the lagoon. The hotel’s lounge bar serves up cocktails and other drinks in a relaxing atmosphere.
The Retreat at Blue Lagoon Iceland offers a unique and luxurious experience for travelers looking to relax, rejuvenate, and explore the natural beauty of Iceland. The hotel’s exclusive access to the Blue Lagoon, exceptional spa experiences, gourmet dining, and unique activities make it a top choice for those seeking a truly memorable vacation.
These are just a few of the most luxurious hotels in Reykjavik. There are many more options available, each offering its unique brand of luxury and comfort.
Neighborhoods in Reykjavik to Consider
As a tourist in Reykjavik, some of the best neighborhoods to stay in are:
- Downtown Reykjavik: This is the heart of the city, and is where most of the tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, and shops are located. Staying in this neighborhood will give you easy access to all of the city’s main sights, and you can easily walk or bike around.
- Laugardalur: This neighborhood is a bit quieter than downtown Reykjavik, but still has plenty to offer. It is home to the largest park in Reykjavik. As well as the Laugardalslaug geothermal pool and the Reykjavik Botanic Garden. It is also within walking distance of downtown Reykjavik.
- Vesturbær: This neighborhood is located west of downtown Reykjavik, and is known for its beautiful old houses and quiet streets. It is also home to Reykjavik Harbor, which is a popular spot for whale watching and boat tours.
- Hlíðar: This neighborhood is located just east of downtown Reykjavik, and is a popular residential area. It has plenty of restaurants, cafes, and shops, as well as easy access to downtown Reykjavik.
Any of these neighborhoods would be a good choice for tourists visiting Reykjavik. They all offer a variety of attractions and easy access to the city’s main sights.
Here are some reasons why someone might want to visit Reykjavik:
- Natural Beauty: Iceland is known for its stunning natural beauty, and Reykjavik is no exception. Visitors can explore nearby landmarks such as the Blue Lagoon, the Golden Circle, and the Northern Lights. All of which offer breathtaking views of Iceland’s natural wonders.
- Rich Culture: Reykjavik is a city with a rich cultural heritage, with museums, galleries, and historic landmarks that showcase Iceland’s history and traditions. The city also has a vibrant arts scene, with numerous festivals and events throughout the year. Try a Reykjavik city walking tour.
- Outdoor Activities: Iceland’s natural beauty also offers opportunities for outdoor activities. Such as hiking, biking, kayaking, and even whale watching. Reykjavik itself has many parks and gardens, as well as geothermal pools and spas for relaxation.
- Unique Cuisine: Icelandic cuisine is known for its unique and flavorful dishes, with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients such as seafood, lamb, and wild berries. Visitors to Reykjavik can sample these dishes at local restaurants and cafes. They can even participate in food tours and cooking classes.
- Vibrant Nightlife: Reykjavik has a lively and vibrant nightlife scene, with numerous bars, clubs, and music venues. Visitors can enjoy live music, dance parties, and even comedy shows throughout the city.
Whether you are seeking adventure or relaxation, Reykjavik has something to offer for everyone.
What Luxury Hotels in Reykjavik Iceland are you considering? Feel free to share in the comment section below.
Just want to let you know; some of my posts might contain affiliate links. If you buy something through those links, it will not cost you a penny more, but I might earn a commission. That will allow for this site to keep going. Thanks!
6 thoughts on “4 Luxury Hotels in Reykjavik Iceland”
Excellent blog post on luxury hotels in Reykjavik, Iceland! I found the descriptions and photos of each hotel very informative and enticing.
I have a few questions about luxury hotels in Reykjavik though:
How have luxury hotels in Reykjavik adapted to the changing travel landscape due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and what measures are they taking to ensure the safety and comfort of their guests?
What are some unique experiences or activities that guests can enjoy at luxury hotels in Reykjavik, such as spa treatments, dining experiences, or guided excursions?
How do the prices of luxury hotels in Reykjavik compare to other popular luxury destinations around the world, and are there any strategies for finding the best deals or discounts?
Glad you like the post about hotels in Reykjavik. Great questions!
All COVID restrictions has at this point been lifted in Iceland. For some more info please see https://www.covid.is/
Iceland is a great place to explore in style. Not only in Reykjavik but there are many great luxury resorts around the country. Enjoy the Northern Lights from a jacuzzi at Hotel Range in Hella for example. You can also take a helicopter tour over the beautiful Icealandic landscape, and visit Michelin star restaurant Dill in Reykjavik. It will make a truly luxurious vacation.
In Reykjavik you can enjoy private guided tours or take luxurious day excursions exploring outside of the city.
Iceland in general are kind of pricy compared to other destinations. But it also offer unique nature and once in a lifetime opportunities. While there I enjoyed walking the streets of Reykjavik enjoying the Northern Lights. We also took a private flight to Westman Islands, the options are many!
What a beautiful and clean looking blog and very informative. I love to travel and you have put all the travel information for someone traveling to Iceland and the Nordic regions at his fingertips. I was stationed in Italy with NATO and we were friends with a family from Iceland which is what drew me to your blog. When is the best time to travel to Iceland? Thanks for sharing this valuable information.
Thank you! How exciting then you can get best of both world if you visit. You can get the touristy Iceland but also the local experience visiting with friends. No better way to explore a country than having the locals show you around. I’m also a big fan of Italy. We are planning a trip there this summer after our yearly visit in Sweden.
Iceland is really a great destination all year round depending on what you want to see and do. If you enjoy hiking, nature and milder weather the summer is a great time to visit. Northern lights are most likely seen fall, winter, and spring. If winter activities like husky rides, and snowmobiling are on your bucket lists then the Jan through march are good. Things like the Golden Circle tour and Blue lagoon can be enjoyed all year. Here are some fun activities to take a look at.
There are some absolutely stunning hotels in Iceland. I have had family members take vacations there but I have never been. We are planning a trip overseas this year to someone new and after reading your article I will definitely consider Iceland and now I have several gorgeous hotels to choose from. All of the amenities sound amazing with a nice cultural and historical flare. Thank you for the great information. Brian
Let me know if you decide to go, I will be happy to give some tips and advice. There are a lot of nice accommodations traveling outside of Reykjavik as well. Glad you enjoyed the post!